Sys V kernel bss is a HOG!!!

djmolny at cuae2.UUCP djmolny at cuae2.UUCP
Fri Feb 20 09:38:53 AEST 1987

>	      On a VAX 11/780 running 4.3bsd
>% size /vmunix
>text    data    bss     dec     hex
>196936  91940   70164   359040  57a80

>              On an AT&T 3b2/300 running System V rel2
>$ size /unix
>2044(.gate) + 152268(.text) + 28552(.data) + 410584(.bss) + 284(<EDT>)
>	    + 4368(boot) = 598100

Apples to apples, please.  What are the tunable parameters on both
machines?  Are the disk buffers part of the /vmunix file, or are they
tacked on at boot time?  (I suspect the latter, which means the "size"
command is not showing the run-time size of vmunix.  Berkeley gurus please
respond.)

> ... Can it be, because
>3bnet is a hog for buffers or that system V uses a very large buffer
>cache ? I don't know the answer and I invite you to speculate.

3BNET uses no more than 70K bytes for its buffer space,  completely
separate from the disk buffer cache.

>If it makes a difference, I know that the Vax in question has 4MB
>of memory while rumor has it that the 3b2 has 2MB.

You can check the amount of memory on the 3B2 by typing "prtconf".

--
						Regards,
						DJ Molny, N9609U