Sys V kernel bss is a HOG!!!

naim at nucsrl.UUCP naim at nucsrl.UUCP
Thu Feb 19 06:29:13 AEST 1987

In a reply to a claim, that the berkeley kernel is too large, Guy Harris
wrote:
>gorodish$ size /vmunix
>text	data	bss	dec	hex
>445120	77784	120348	643252	9d0b4
>As for singling out the Berkeley kernel, I shall point out that I
>just did a "size" on "/unix" on a 3B2 around here, and it was about
>800KB.

I tried the following:
	      On a VAX 11/780 running 4.3bsd
% size /vmunix
text    data    bss     dec     hex
196936  91940   70164   359040  57a80
              On an AT&T 3b2/300 running System V rel2
$ size /unix
2044(.gate) + 152268(.text) + 28552(.data) + 410584(.bss) + 284(<EDT>)
	    + 4368(boot) = 598100

It seems that the text size of the bsd kernel compares very favourably
with the System V kernel, if one considers the additional functionality.

However, I am curious as to why the system V kernel has such a large
bss size compared to the bsd kernel (410KB vs. 70KB). The Vax is
configured for INET while the 3b2 is on a 3bnet. Can it be, because
3bnet is a hog for buffers or that system V uses a very large buffer
cache ? I don't know the answer and I invite you to speculate.

If it makes a difference, I know that the Vax in question has 4MB
of memory while rumor has it that the 3b2 has 2MB.

		      Naim
		      {ihnp4, chinet}!nucsrl!naim