UUCP Job Grading

ahby at meccts.UUCP ahby at meccts.UUCP
Fri Feb 27 09:34:45 AEST 1987

In article <487 at sw1e.UUCP> uusgta at sw1e.UUCP (uusgta) writes:
>In article <192 at forbrk.UUCP>, mats at forbrk.UUCP writes:
>>  I may not want to dump all of the news that has batched
>> up at that same time - I may need to leave my phone line free for
>> other high-priority requests, and defer the news transfer until
>> some off-hours time when the phone line isn't needed for high-priority
>
>Why not implement a separate spooling mechanism that only dumps into UUCP
>during off-hours.  Something similar to the at q's, perhaps combined with
>changes to uucico (to get low priority stuff if no high priority stuff is
>queued) seems quick & dirty.  I see the high kludge quotient but what else
>is wrong with this?

Actually, there is a really easy way to do this.  If you think
changing uucico is kludgy, just wait :-).  You create a directory
called /usr/spool/HOLDuucp.  In crontab you have lines which call the
scripts 'holdjobs' and 'releasejobs' at specific times.

The script holdjobs looks at the jobs in /usr/spool/uucp, and any job
with a grade less than or equal to X gets moved into
/usr/spool/HOLDuucp.  Note that you only move the C. files, not
anything else.

The script releasejobs just moves /usr/spool/HOLDuucp/C* back into
/usr/spool/uucp - thus enabling the jobs once again.

This is REALLY a kludge, but it will work - I think.  Unless uuclean
comes along and deletes old D. files while the C. files are in another
directory.  However, you could modify your uudemon.day to check
HOLDuucp for old jobs as well.
--
Shane P. McCarron		UUCP	ihnp4!meccts!ahby, ahby at MECC.COM
MECC Technical Services		ATT	(612) 481-3589

"Character is what you are in the dark!"