UUCP Port Turnaround

guy at gorodish.UUCP guy at gorodish.UUCP
Sun Feb 15 16:07:26 AEST 1987

>Venturcom's VENIX did (still does) have hacks like these in the kernel
>tty driver.  I was never successful in getting dial-in/out to work with
>either a Rixon modem, or an AT&T Aztec protocol modem, although the
>claim was that they worked (mostly?) with Hayes modems.  As far as
>I'm concerned, hacking the kernel ISN'T the way to go.

Concluding from one implementation that the concept being implemented
is wrong is foolish.  Do you have any evidence that the problems with
VENIX were caused solely by the fact that they modified the kernel?

>The HDB uugetty program also didn't turn the trick for me either.  I
>gave up on that approach months ago as a waste of time.
>
>Then, lo, out of the public domain comes "modem"....

The only reason you didn't decide that doing it with two flavors of
"getty" wasn't also the way to go seems to be that you eventually ran
across something using two versions of "getty" that worked.  As such,
you know that concluding that some approach is wrong based on the
first implementation you see is wrong, and should not have drawn the
conclusion you did about kernel mods.

>Save the kernel mods for when they're really needed.

Sigh.  What does "really needed" mean here?  The advantage of the
kernel mods, as Rick Adams pointed out, is that you don't have to
teach several programs about how to share modem lines.

>As for me, I'm happy with two versions of 'getty'.

Well, you don't have to maintain them and keep them in sync.