UUCP Port Turnaround

paul at vcvax1.UUCP paul at vcvax1.UUCP
Mon Feb 16 13:14:41 AEST 1987

> > of sync.  I've seen solutions proposed where you have two "devices"
> > associated with a terminal port, one for dialing out and one for
> > other uses.
>
> Venturcom's VENIX did (still does) have hacks like these in the kernel
> tty driver.

Actually, we took these hacks out in VENIX System V, since, as Rick
pointed out, they didn't work too well, due to problems that
did not appear easily solvable.  Instead, we added
the "ttystate" command, a shell script which (carefully) manipulates
the inittab and turns off and on getty processes.  (I posted this to the net
a while ago.) A uudemon script can use this to disable
the getty before dialing out.  This approach has proved more reliable.

Paul Kleppner
VenturCom, Inc.
617/661-1230
{seismo!harvard,genrad!mit-eddie}!cybvax0!vcvax1!paul