UNIX to VMS via DECNET

campbell at maynard.UUCP campbell at maynard.UUCP
Tue Feb 10 14:34:06 AEST 1987

In article <3423 at cae780.TEK.COM> gordon at cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) writes:
>                                           ... I doubt that there are VMS
>protocols available under unix (except that Vaxen running Ultrix can speak
>both DECnet and ftp/telnet and act as relays) since the protocols are
>proprietary, but ftp/telnet under VMS is quite possible.

Wrong - the DECnet protocols are not proprietary.  They are publicly
available, and anyone is free to use them to implement DECnet.  A local
company called Technology Concepts, Inc. (TCI) does that for a living.
Their DECnet product is called CommUNITY;  Sun just licensed it.  TCI
was recently purchased by Bell Atlantic, so you'll probably be hearing
a lot more about their products now that they're stuffed with Phone Company
cash.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell at maynard.uucp             120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109