UNIX to VMS via DECNET

gordon at cae780.UUCP gordon at cae780.UUCP
Sat Feb 7 05:05:33 AEST 1987

In article <3056 at osu-eddie.UUCP> bob at osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
|In article <3019 at gitpyr.gatech.EDU> allen at gitpyr.gatech.EDU (P. Allen Jensen) writes:
|>I have an immediate need to be able to get files to/from a DEC
|>micro-Vax running VMS 4.4 and DECNET from/to a UNIX system.
|
|Forget about DECnet.
|
|>The candidate UNIX systems are: SUN-3/160, APOLLO DN660, MASSCOMP
|>MC5500, IBM RT-PC.
|
|All of the systems have serial lines.
|
|>All of the systems have ethernet.
|
|Forget about it.  See above.

A non sequitor.  We use the Ethernet hardware for communications between our
VMS and unix machines constantly, using both ftp and telnet.  There are
more than one source of VMS versions of them.  I doubt that there are VMS
protocols available under unix (except that Vaxen running Ultrix can speak
both DECnet and ftp/telnet and act as relays) since the protocols are

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems Division of Tektronix, Inc.
UUCP:   tektronix!cae780!gordon [or gordon at cae780.CAE.TEK.COM]
proprietary, but ftp/telnet under VMS is quite possible.