Wanted: filesystem driver - for hybrid tape disk media

ncd at nzfish.UUCP ncd at nzfish.UUCP
Tue Feb 17 17:32:17 AEST 1987

Wanted: filesystem emulator, part tape - part disk.

   Can such a thing run under vanilla Unix?  What we
believe we want is to have an extra file system. For
example mounted as /arc. This extra filesystem would
use physical space both on disk and on tape. Natually
it would be nice if the data stored on disk was the most
reasontly accessed, while the data stored on tape less
often used, so a degree of smartness would be nice.

   There are a host of things that such a device handler
"could" do, but basically making disk a 'buffer' between
machine and tape would be enough, whether it buffered
at block level or file level may not be all that important.

We are running OSx (ucb & att) on a Pyramid computer, we
do not have a source license for the obvious reasons.

We have a large base of users who in turn seem to have
an infinite capacity for consuming disk space, we also
have a large database, part of which may not be used
for extended periods, but never the less these parts
remain ever important for research.
   Thus the need for this disk/tape hybrid.

		Thank you in advance
			Neville

address: ubc_vision!calgary!vuwcomp!nzfish!ncd