"special" shells a headache in make? (was: security hole)

levy at ttrdc.UUCP levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Tue Feb 17 12:11:24 AEST 1987

In article <177 at quacky.mips.UUCP>, dce at mips.UUCP writes:
>I don't disagree with being ABLE to use a different shell, but I disagree
>with the method that was used to implement it.
>
>As Doug says, it isn't right that I have to edit already-working makefiles
>just because AT&T decides to allow the SHELL variable. Maybe you don't
>have 300-400 makefiles to maintain (I'd bet that Doug has thousands), but
>some of us do, and don't like the idea of having to change every one of
>them just to make them work again (note the operative word is "again").

I do sympathize with you (despite being a hacker from the Death Star :-) ).
But there's an easier "workaround" than modifying zillions of makefiles.
Just create a shell script, shell function, or alias which sets SHELL=/bin/sh
in a subshell, then execs your favorite :-) make program with the proper
arguments.  The function or alias need not be known to the make process itself
since once SHELL is set to /bin/sh in the environment it will propagate
automatically to sub-makes.
|            dan levy            |  my own and are not at all those of my em-
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
                                        allegra,ulysses,vax135}!ttrdc!levy