Unix Photograph

okamoto at hpccc.UUCP okamoto at hpccc.UUCP
Sat Feb 28 02:45:02 AEST 1987

/ hpccc:comp.unix.wizards / braun at m10ux.UUCP / 11:08 am  Feb 26, 1987 /
> On the back cover of February's issure of Unix/World,
> there is a full-page ad from SCO.
> A photograph shows a highway intersection and overpass, with a
> highway sign pointing the way to "System V UNIX Solutions".
> In the distant backround, you see San Francisco.
> My question is: where was the photograph taken?
> I get the impression that it must be somewhere in the East Bay,
> and if you follow the sign, you would more likely
> end up in Berkeley (on Route 42).
> Does anyone recognize the intersection in the picture?

Well, the bridge is question is definitely the Bay Bridge.  If you
look closely, you will see the pillar/island that is between the
second and third towers, and the third tower itself.

Given this, the island on the far right must be Yerba Buena Island.
It now takes only a bit of supposition and knowledge of East Bay
freeways to pin it down.  Since I don't go around looking for
underpasses through which I can take neat pictures of the City,
I can only guess.

>From the way the bridge crosses the field of the picture, we
must be south of the Bridge itself, yet we must have a clear view
of both Yerba Buena and the City itself that is visible through
an underpass.

The only highway that fits this is 880 (old 17), yet 880 never runs
close enough to the Bay to NOT get a whole bunch of junk in the way.
(such as the Port of Oakland, Alameda, etc).

Therefore, it is my suspicion that the picture is a fake.  The
foreground shot was overlaid on a background of the Bridge/City.

I suppose you could get the number off the pillar of the overpass
and call up CalTrans and ask them where the pillar is....

P.S.  Its Highway 24, not Route 42....

The New Number Who,	okamoto at ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Jeff Okamoto		..!ucbvax!okamoto