UUCP Job Grading

josh at hi.UUCP josh at hi.UUCP
Wed Feb 25 04:28:01 AEST 1987

In article <192 at forbrk.UUCP> mats at forbrk.UUCP (Mats Wichmann) writes:

>(There seems to be no newsgroup dedicated to general UUCP discussion,
> just mail via UUCP, so I arbitrarily picked this one. Please feel free
> to redirect it if there is a better place that I missed).
>
>The time has come for me to speak of many things, this time about
>about teaching UUCP about different classes of jobs, so that I can
>control what gets shipped when. The typical example is that if I
>connect to machine 'X' to send a piece of mail which happens to be
>high-priority, I may not want to dump all of the news that has batched
>up at that same time - I may need to leave my phone line free for
>other high-priority requests, and defer the news transfer until
>some off-hours time when the phone line isn't needed for high-priority
>stuff. Anybody have thoughts on how one might set this up? (I am
>running HDB UUCP on a V.2 port at the moment, if anyone cares).

First,  it is always possible to make news transfer at a different by
batching it.  Batching allows the machine to just make a list of
articles it needs to transfer. Then late at night the Daemon will crawl
out and send the news (while fixing any shoes that happen to be sitting
around :-).  If you don't have a version of news that does this I am
sure you can get a copy of it from one of the archive sites.  Currently
the version I have is 2.11 and I love it.

Another solution could be the following.  Assuming you have two phone
lines, put two entries into your uucp/L.sys file for a machine.  One
entry could be called X.slow and one could be called X.  All news can
be sent to X.slow and mail passed onto X.  This means that even while
transfering news, you can have your machine call up X again and
transfer mail.  This also means that people who are mail through your
machine don't get high priority.  They get struck in with the rest of
the news. Also, users who use UUCP to pass stuff around get put into
the high priority que for file transfers.  I know when I am transfering
via UUCP, I want it there fast!  I am running off at the mouth? :-)

>Thoughts? I promise to summarize anything interesting mailed to
>me instead of posted to the world.
>
>Mats Wichmann			... {ihnp4,hplabs}!fortune!forbrk!mats
>Fortune Systems			... ucbvax!dual!forbrk!mats
>(I don't think anyone has UUCP map data on us so you may have to try
> to construct a path from the above)

Josh Siegel			... ucbvax!unmvax!hi!josh
				josh at hi.unm%hc.dspo.gov

	( By boss will post his own options )