UUCP Job Grading

mats at forbrk.UUCP mats at forbrk.UUCP
Tue Feb 24 04:04:38 AEST 1987

(There seems to be no newsgroup dedicated to general UUCP discussion,
 just mail via UUCP, so I arbitrarily picked this one. Please feel free
 to redirect it if there is a better place that I missed).

The time has come for me to speak of many things, this time about
about teaching UUCP about different classes of jobs, so that I can
control what gets shipped when. The typical example is that if I
connect to machine 'X' to send a piece of mail which happens to be
high-priority, I may not want to dump all of the news that has batched
up at that same time - I may need to leave my phone line free for
other high-priority requests, and defer the news transfer until
some off-hours time when the phone line isn't needed for high-priority
stuff. Anybody have thoughts on how one might set this up? (I am
running HDB UUCP on a V.2 port at the moment, if anyone cares).

I have heard that 4.3BSD has some sort of job grading feature, but
I don't know anything about it, and (a) I don't have access to 4.3BSD
and am not likely to any time soon and (b) The person that originally
brought this problem up to me was Bob Kridle of Mt Xinu, which leads
me to believe that it doesn't solve the problem either. Perhaps a
short description from 4.3 might be appropriate anyway.

One of the big problems seems to me to be that both ends would have to
support any new protocol as to whether a particular job was eligible
for sending during a particular connection or not. So at the moment
I am not proposing to do anything at all except suffer with an
uncomfortable situation, and opening up the floor for discussion.

Thoughts? I promise to summarize anything interesting mailed to
me instead of posted to the world.

Mats Wichmann			... {ihnp4,hplabs}!fortune!forbrk!mats
Fortune Systems			... ucbvax!dual!forbrk!mats
(I don't think anyone has UUCP map data on us so you may have to try
 to construct a path from the above)