wtmp problem

todd at uhccux.UUCP todd at uhccux.UUCP
Mon Feb 9 16:55:54 AEST 1987

I have a VAX 8650 running Ultrix 1.2 and just ran across a problem with
my wtmp file that puzzled me.  It seems that logins were not being
logged into the wtmp file as usual.  The wtmp file was not particularly
large (just over 100K) and was nulled eight days ago.  Everything else
on the system seemed fine.  I did a

	cp /dev/null /usr/adm/wtmp

to clear the log file and that seemed to restart logging properly.

Has anyone else running Ultrix or 4.2BSD had this problem with wtmp?

Any hints on what happened would be appreciated.  I've never seen this happen
before....todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd