wtmp problem

grr at cbmvax.UUCP grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Tue Feb 10 21:13:23 AEST 1987

In article <314 at uhccux.UUCP> todd at uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) writes:
>I have a VAX 8650 running Ultrix 1.2 and just ran across a problem with
>my wtmp file that puzzled me.  It seems that logins were not being
>logged into the wtmp file as usual.  The wtmp file was not particularly
>large (just over 100K) and was nulled eight days ago.  Everything else
>on the system seemed fine.
>to clear the log file and that seemed to restart logging properly.
>Has anyone else running Ultrix or 4.2BSD had this problem with wtmp?
>Any hints on what happened would be appreciated.  I've never seen this happen
>before....todd
>
>Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center

Just noticed something similar here a day or two ago.  Actually, it looks
like wtmp is ok, but the last command is digging up garbage somewhere.
I haven't had time to dig into it yet.  We have also seen situations where
the user-id vs terminals reported by w are out of sync and talk seems to
go to the wrong person!

We're running Ultrix 1.2 on 750...
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at seismo.css.GOV