How do you manage multiple /etc/passwd files?

cdash at boulder.UUCP cdash at boulder.UUCP
Fri Feb 13 07:48:38 AEST 1987

In article <286 at desoto.UUCP> shz at desoto.UUCP (S. Zirin) writes:
>In <2253 at felix.UUCP> zemon writes:
>
>> I just installed my third computer which means that now I have three
>> /etc/passwd files.  So now I'm trying to figure out some way to relieve
>> my users from the need to update passwords three times when they want
>> to change them.  How do you do it.
>
>Users should NOT use the same password on more than one computer for obvious
>security reasons.  In addition, you should probably use password aging to
>require your users to change their passwords periodically.

zemon's response to zirin's timely request is non-productive. I would love to
have a better mechanism than logging in and changing password on each of the
13 machines i use in my work. it gets boring doing this every month. my
passwords ARE different (a portion of the password is keyed to the machine name
so i don't forget)

so is there something that can gracefully change multiple passwords on multiple
systems?