Make is Buggy

rbj at icst-cmr.arpa rbj at icst-cmr.arpa
Fri Feb 20 11:16:14 AEST 1987

   ]>Furthermore, it is a botch to *import* SHELL from the environment;
   ]>this causes Makefiles to work differently for people with different
   ]>login shells!  "make" should NOT import SHELL.
   ]
   ]And it *certainly* should not attempt to import things like IFS!

Well, John Mashey once suggested asking `why' before flaming, and since
someone brought it up, *** why does IFS even exist *** ?

   ]This can lead to extremely confusing bugs in complicated makefiles.

Or any other corner of reality.

	(Root Boy) Jim "Just Say Yes" Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	Help! A 900 foot tall vision of Dennis Ritchie told me
	that if I don't get my 4.3 BSD tapes by March I'll die!