SLIPDISC protocol

chris at mimsy.UUCP chris at mimsy.UUCP
Fri Feb 20 14:32:04 AEST 1987

In article <596 at wucs2.UUCP> david at wucs2.UUCP (David Burstyn) writes:
>    Has anyone successfully used the SLIPDISC protocol
>(mentioned on page SMM:13-9 under tty_conf.c) to connect
>systems over an asynchronous serial link?

Yes.  (But not here.)

>    No one here has been able to succesfully compile a
>kernel with the SLIPDISC protocol.  Does anyone know
>if it is functional as distributed, or if not know what
>modifications are needed.

It will run.  Add

	pseudo-device	sl	2	# or however many you need

to your configuration file, run /etc/config, make depend, make.
Boot the new vmunix, make sure characters sent on ttyXX show up
at the other machine, and run

	slattach ttyXX 1200 &		# or whatever speed

If you need a modem dialled, write a program to do that, then run
slattach.  If the line drops, slattach should die with a SIGHUP,
and you can automatically redial.

There are, however, a few bugs in the code as distributed.  In
particular, if you get low on clists, the SL interfaces may lock
up.  I have no official fix yet (low priority).
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu