SLIPDISC protocol

david at wucs2.UUCP david at wucs2.UUCP
Thu Feb 19 08:44:42 AEST 1987

    Has anyone successfully used the SLIPDISC protocol
(mentioned on page SMM:13-9 under tty_conf.c) to connect
systems over an asynchronous serial link?

    We have the use of one channel of a u-wave link that
appears as a 9600 baud serial line with occasional severe
burst errors.  We want to use the link to connect a uVaxII
to a Vax-750 both running 4.3.

    We previously had used itt (posted by elvy at harvard in
Feb 84) to (somewhat) succesfully connect a pair of 750's
running 4.2 over the u-wave link.  For reasons that we
could never totally pin down, one of the machines crashed
on the order of once a day when running itt.  Converting
itt from 4.2 to 4.3 does not seem to be straightforward.

    No one here has been able to succesfully compile a
kernel with the SLIPDISC protocol.  Does anyone know
if it is functional as distributed, or if not know what
modifications are needed.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

David Burstyn                   UUCP:    david at wuibc2.UUCP
Computer Systems Lab            CSNET:   wuibc2!david at seismo.ARPA%csnet-relay
Washington University           ARPANET: wuibc2!david at seismo.ARPA
St. Louis, MO  63130            516 Lopata Hall, (314) 889-4678