Not enough core: Summary

badri at ur-valhalla.UUCP badri at ur-valhalla.UUCP
Thu Feb 19 07:09:20 AEST 1987

This is a summary of some of the messages that I received in response
to my query regarding "Out of core" messages.
(Reference: <1010 at ur-valhalla.UUCP>)

Several people suggested switching over to BSD 4.3 where the problem
is "apparently" fixed. This solution is in the offing ...

The fix that I made to BSD 4.2 to get it working were along the lines
suggested by Tom Quarles (private correspondence),
Chris Torek (<5433 at mimsy.UUCP>) and Don Speck (<1797 at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>);
namely bump up DMMAX to 2048 and MAXDSIZ to 22496 by defining them in the
config file and remake every thing from scratch. It turned out that
/sys/vax/autoconf.c had DMMAX #defined to 1024, so the solution did not
work automatically.  I had to put in #ifndef DMMAX to get it to work.

While I am wasting time fixing the kernel, can somebody tell me
where dmmax is set to 0? It is declared to be type int in /sys/h/dmap.h and
is tested for its value in /sys/vax/autoconf.c, but is never explicitly
initialised. Isn't this a violation of "good programming practice?"

Badri Lokanathan
"Don't blame me for wanting more       {) ur-valhalla!badri at rochester.arpa
 The facts are too hard to ignore     //\\ {ames,caip,cmcl2,columbia,cornell,
 I'm scared to death of poverty      ///\\\ harvard,ll-xn,rutgers,seismo,
 I only want what's best for me."-UB40 /\    topaz}!rochester!ur-valhalla!badri