Format an RX50?

unllab at amber.berkeley.edu.UUCP unllab at amber.berkeley.edu.UUCP
Thu Feb 26 00:07:34 AEST 1987

In article <12412 at gatech.EDU> spaf at gatech.EDU (Gene Spafford) writes:
>I have a VaxstationII with an rx50 pair of floppy drives.
>Anybody out there know how to format a generic 5.25in disk?
>Or do I have to shell out for Dec pre-formatted disks?
>
>(I already know they can be formatted on a Rainbow -- I don't
>have one of those around.)
>--
>Gene Spafford
>Software Engineering Research Center (SERC), Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
>CSNet:	Spaf @ GATech		ARPA:	Spaf at gatech.EDU
>uucp:	...!{akgua,decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,seismo,ulysses}!gatech!spaf

The rx50 format is 10 512byte sectors/track, 80 tracks, single sided (stupid)
96 tracks/inch.  The sector header structure is otherwise IBM compatible.
If you hang a 96 tpi floppy on an IBM clone you can write that format by
calling the ROM bios with a nonstandard disk setup.  I have a program that does
that which i can post or mail if there is any demand.

Paul Leondis
unllab at amber.berkeley.edu
...ucbvax!jade!amber!unllab