UUCP Port Turnaround

gemini at homxb.UUCP gemini at homxb.UUCP
Tue Feb 17 11:27:52 AEST 1987

In article <13355 at sun.uucp>, guy%gorodish at Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
> >> You should try the kernel hack on a decent system before dismissing it.
> >I guess it's just the Berkeley philosophy to do things in the kernel
> >whenever possible, even when it's not necessary.
> Oh, good grief!
>
> 1) The change was made by Sun, not Berkeley; if you'd read Rick
> Adams' article carefully, you would have seen that.

I said "Berkeley philosophy", I didn't say that Berkeley made the change.
I was referring to those 300K kernels I've seen running 4.2BSD and
derivatives.  Christ, there sure as hell's got to be a load of baggage
in there that doesn't need to be there.  Let's be sane about this,
line turnaround might be a nearly free kernel feature, then again, it
might be painful.  You need to make the mods (correct me) in each
serial device driver?  And many (most) users don't care about it one
way or another.  It's for the little guy with just one serial port,
one phone line.  The big guys have absolutely dumb (read cheap) modems
on all the dial-ins, and a couple of autodialers on the dial-outs.

Yeh, I'm a little guy.  I need it.  "Modem" sits out there on the
swap device nearly all day, all 14K of him.  SVR2 sits in core
all day, all 100K of him.  If your kernel's big already, a little more
won't hurt.  But mines small,  I'd like to keep it that way.

Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc. (201) 922-1134, (201) 834-1378
..!ihnp4!castor!{rer,pcrat!rer} <--Replies to here, not to homxb!gemini, please.