rsh environment

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Sat Dec 31 16:50:17 AEST 1988

In article <955 at riddle.UUCP> andrew at riddle.UUCP (Andrew Beattie) writes:
>DID YOU BSD PEOPLE HERE THAT ???
>
>...  On our Xenix boxes with Excelan the remote shell has $SHELL set up
>from passwd so the fix is to use csh and set up the environment in
>$HOME/.cshrc ....

Where do you think Excelan got the idea?

4BSD's `rsh' remote shell (not restricted shell) runs the login user's
shell.  If that shell is a `csh', it reads ~/.cshrc under the usual
restrictions for `csh -c' commands.

It *would* be nice to have an `rsh' that propagated the environment.
I resort to an `sh' script that does this for $DISPLAY for X11.