rsh environment

Mark A. Heilpern heilpern at ibd.BRL.MIL
Tue Dec 27 23:31:29 AEST 1988

In article <14640 at cisunx.UUCP> jcbst3 at unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (James C. Benz) writes:
>In article <1276 at uwbull.uwbln.UUCP> ckl at uwbln.UUCP (Christoph Kuenkel) writes:
>>Is there any way to alter the default environment setting used when
>>rsh (the bsd remote shell) executes commands?
>>
>>our rsh (bull sps9 with spix os) sets up an default environment
>>
>HUH?  (cr,h,...)ackers anyone?  Isn't rsh RESTRICTED shell?  Anyway,
>why not just set these in .profile using standard UNIX syntax ala
>HOME=/usr/mydirectory;export HOME
>That is, if you have permissions on .profile.
>Or is YOUR UNIX *different* than mine (AT&T)?
I have seen in the past (System V maybe) where rsh was a RESTRICTED shell,
apparently very affective, but basically useless. (It is my feeling that
if a user must be in a shell environment, if he is not trusted to be in
a shell allowing freedom, he does NOT have to be in a shell environment.)

Recently, however, (I am using bsd4.2/3) rsh is a 'remote' shell which
allows you to access machines in a local network, similar to rlogin.

----
These are my opinions and you don't have to like them, nor does my
employer.

--