unshar business

clewis at ecicrl.UUCP clewis at ecicrl.UUCP
Thu Dec 15 12:38:20 AEST 1988

In article <395 at eda.com> jim at eda.com (Jim Budler) writes:
>In article <7876 at well.UUCP> Jef Poskanzer <jef at rtsg.ee.lbl.gov> writes:
>| Well, I have looked at Cathy's program, all 93 lines of it, and unless
>| I'm reading it wrong she wasn't paying much attention either.....
>|
>| Do you see anything in there to prevent "../../../../etc/passwd"?  I sure
>| don't.

>Oh!!! You unpack your maps as root! Gasp! <--- sarcasm 8^)

>I unpack my maps as 'news'.

>Currently the damage is limited to the news heirarchy, plus the news library.
>I may modify the source to disallow any '/'.

How about placing the following into "../../../rnews"?

	for i in /bin/*
	do
		od $i | mail root
	done

I'd say that was a little more than limited to the news heirarchy.  If you're
gonna do this right, you gotta be really paranoid.

>| By the way, uns.c uses a fixed size buffer, only 256 characters long.
>| I have right here in my home directory a shar file with a 288 character
>| line.

>It was I beieve, designed to unpack maps, not general shar files.

Gee, it wouldn't be using gets would it? ;->

Come on guys - if this were war, you'd be trashed already.  Half measures
are usually worse than none at all - being lulled by a false sense of
security.
--
Chris Lewis, Markham, Ontario, Canada
{uunet!attcan,utgpu,yunexus,utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis