unshar business

Brad Turner mbt at bridge2.3Com.Com
Tue Dec 13 02:30:49 AEST 1988

In article <232 at logicon.arpa> Makey at LOGICON.ARPA (Jeff Makey) writes:
>In article <210 at bridge2.3Com.Com> mbt at bridge2.3Com.com (Brad Turner) writes:
>>Before ya flame me telling me how my previous posting wasn't
>>safe since I choose to use sh, let me include that the script is run
>>su mapdaemon which has only the priviledges of a normal user on the system.
>>Futher more output is mailed to the sysadmin at the end of each run.
>>
>>I figure this is a pretty safe compromise between prudence and paranoia.
>
>Some people just don't pay attention, do they?  Remember: the Internet
>virus used only the privileges of a "normal" UNIX user to do its dirty
>work.  Brad's lex + sh method of unsharing UUCP maps is a very
>*unsafe* compromise between prudence and paranoia.  In other words,
>his plan is very prudent, but not very paranoid.

Point well taken.

1) Open mouth wide
2) Insert foot deep
3) gnaw......

I wasn't thinking when I posted.....

DON'T DO WHAT I SUGGESTED IT IS A HOSED IN THE HEAD IDEA!

humbly,
-brad-
--
v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
Brad Turner	1330 Ashleybrook Ln.	(919) 768-2097	| I speak for myself