Worm/Passwords

Root Boy Jim rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov
Thu Dec 1 03:16:58 AEST 1988

? In article <10 at herron.uucp>, jbrown at herron.uucp (Jordan Brown) writes:
? > jbayer at ispi.UUCP writes:
? > > It is possible to adopt a single system, if that system is random.  For
? > > example, I have included below a random password generating program, ...
? >
? > Somebody go by this fellow's office and look at all the desk blotters and
? > scraps of paper to find written-down passwords.  Then log in and mail him
? > a note to go watch War Games.

? (mild flame)

? Mr. Brown,
? 	Instead of being critical without offering suggestions, why don't you
? shut up?  The program I posted was an example.  We don't use it here because
? WE ARE TOO SMALL.  I have seen other critisisms of my program, but they
? were constructive in that they were pointing out problems with it.  I challenge
? you to develop a program which will create random passwords which will be
? easy to remember.  The challenge includes posting it to the net in less than
? 200 lines.  If you do this then you will have contributed something worthy to
? the net instead of useless abuse.

? (flame off)

? Jonathan Bayer
? Intelligent Software Products, Inc.

Sorry, bozo, why don't *YOU* shut up! I hope you and your company of
dwarves** never sell that program, and anyone who buys it would be a
fool. Besides Jordan Brown's objections, you are artificially limiting
the password name space. And if such a program became widespread, crackers
could encrypt its output as well as the dictionary. THINK before you
post suggestions about improving security; oftentimes the obvious
solutions actually decrease security instead of improving it.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	(301) 975-5688
	<rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov> or <rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	Crackers and Worms -- Breakfast of Champions!

** see the phrase I capitalized from his quote