Worm/Passwords

T. William Wells bill at twwells.uucp
Thu Dec 1 15:45:49 AEST 1988

In article <8998 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
: In article <220 at twwells.uucp> bill at twwells.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
: >     ... lassword ...
:
: Oh, but I can't let you have the lassword!

But I haven't cried `youncall' yet! :-)

: I didn't mean to imply that this approach wasn't viable, but I
: couldn't resist the experiment and thought (since the posted travesty
: program wasn't runnable on anything except MS-DOS) that an illustration
: of what "travesty" produces might be informative to many readers.

I didn't think you were; I was just addressing a valid objection
raised elsewhere about password generators.  The travesty program has
the benefit of augmenting its random generator with additional data
that the crasher has to get to before he can crack the password.

This eliminates the problem with a crasher simply running a generator
program through all its possible states.

---
Bill
{uunet|novavax}!proxftl!twwells!bill