This is strange... (creating dependency lists for make)

Paul English pme at umb.umb.edu
Thu Dec 29 05:45:45 AEST 1988

In article <1652 at ektools.UUCP> you write:

>Here is some bizareness I found.  Below is a subset of a Bourne Shell
>script I am writing on a Sun 3/60 running SunOS 4.0.  This segment
>generates dependency lists for makefiles. ...

Why don't you just use the -M option of the C compiler to produce your
dependency lists? (Or, if you have gnu gcc, use -MM, which is better.)
See the cc man page for details on -M.

My (generic) application Makefile ends like this:

-----
    dependencies:   $(sources)
                    @echo "# make dependencies for $(program)" > dependencies
                    $(compile) -M $(csrc) >> dependencies

    include dependencies
-----
Of course you have to first create an empty dependencies file (``touch
dependencies''), or comment out the include, until you do the ``make
dependencies'').