Protecting Password Files

Barry Shein bzs at Encore.COM
Mon Dec 26 08:00:49 AEST 1988

From: ptownson at chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Townson)
>The catch seems to be that DIRED sees nothing wrong with working on /etc/
>passwd. Either DIRED should refuse to work on etc or ideally, DIRED should
>be unable to edit the permissions area in directories.
>
>Am I missing something, or is this a simple, easy way to break into anyone's
>account with no reference to their true password at all?
>
>Patrick Townson

Yes, what you are missing is the slightest understanding of unix, if
this wasn't unix-wizards I'd have more mercy but instead I'll point
out you have sunk this list to a new low.

There's something wrong with the LOCAL set up of YOUR dired (which, by
the way, is not even a standard unix utility) or the permissions on
YOUR /etc or something like that, I don't know but your point was
worthless. It's as if you were claiming unix is unreliable since your
system stops working every time you pour a can of cola in the disk
drive.

I have nothing against someone asking a question, no matter how naive,
but posing as someone offering insight into unix to a list who's name
is unix-wizards and posting this kind of misleading, ignorant tripe is
utterly irresponsible. Didn't it ever occur to you that you don't know
what you are talking about? I don't think a little "correct me if I'm
wrong" is enough to excuse this kind of garbage.

	-Barry Shein