Echo

Tim J Ihde tim at attdso.att.com
Tue Dec 6 08:17:16 AEST 1988

In article <14799 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <6557 at june.cs.washington.edu> ka at june.cs.washington.edu
>(Kenneth Almquist) writes:
>>... The System V echo command interprets a number of escape sequences
>>(e.g. \n for newline) which the BSD echo does not, so I can...
>>Any suggestions?
>
>Have echo work as in BSD; use printf(1) to produce escapes.  I tried
>to post printf to comp.sources.unix, but it seems it never made it.

Printf(1) made it this far; I've been using it for a while now.  _Very_ handy
to have around (imagine!  the same formating statements work in more than
command - more than one language even!)

I can mail the shar file to anyone who needs it.

	tim
--
Tim J Ihde				UUCP:	    att!attdso!tim
(201) 898-6687				INTERNET:   tim at attdso.att.com
"Blimey - this redistribution of wealth is more complicated than I'd thought!"
		- Dennis Moore and various Presidents