Echo

Svante Lindahl zap at front.se
Tue Dec 13 06:06:29 AEST 1988

In article <9128 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> What a botch this is!  Nobody I know of puts /usr/ucb before /usr/bin
> even on native BSD systems.  I wouldn't risk that in shell scripts,
> either, so in effect they have added a mechanism that will be of no
> practical use.  And, there is STILL no way to disable \-escape mapping
> in the System V environment.

Nobody?

% strings /bin/login | grep PATH=
PATH=:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin
% strings /bin/su | grep PATH=
PATH=:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin
% strings /etc/in.rshd | grep PATH=
PATH=:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin

This is on SunOS 3.5.  4.3BSD+NFS from mt Xinu (and presumably regular
4.3BSD as well) and OSx 4.1 (Pyramid) are similar.

What I don't like about this is that dot is first in the search path
by default. Not very good if you want to avoid Trojan Horses.

Svante