echo

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Sun Dec 18 03:53:21 AEST 1988

As quoted from <9145 at smoke.BRL.MIL> by gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ):
+---------------
| > Shell scripts generally want to set PATH right after they've set IFS
| > (unless your shell doesn't import IFS); I generally do so in my scripts
| > these days.
|
| Yes, and even 4BSD shell scripts normally include something like
| 	PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb export PATH
| (Again, getting the wrong version of "echo" under SVR4.0.)
+---------------

One of the features listed for SVR4.0 was some form of generalized mount.
If you make such a mount apply only to a specific process (and probably its
children), then it would be possible for a process to gmount /usr/5bin as
/usr/bin (or /usr/4bin as /usr/bin, for BSDites).  Of course, the ublock
just got more complex... but if they need 16MB just to boot, maybe this is
one reason why.  (Ecch....)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu
comp.sources.misc is moving off ncoast -- please do NOT send submissions direct
      Send comp.sources.misc submissions to comp-sources-misc@<backbone>.