character input in curses

Jack Bonn jack at swlabs.UUCP
Tue Dec 6 21:54:16 AEST 1988

I am having some trouble with curses.  In the system I am working on,
there is a different process reading the keyboard than the one which
updates the screen.  This is to allow screen updates to occur as a
result of stimuli other than keyboard action.

Unfortunately, this means that getch doesn't function properly on some
systems (all Sys V).  Should it?  Or does it only function properly on
some systems by chance and not definition.  [It does bother me that the
getch description talks about getting characters from a window.  If I
have echo turned off, what does this really mean?]

Of course, an alternative is to do my own terminal input, bypassing
curses.  I would like to not have to do this, especially since it
seems to mean that I would have to rewrite the keypad input mapping
(yuck).  Is there any avoiding this?

E-mail and I'll summarize.
--
Jack Bonn, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
uunet!swlabs!jack (UUCP)	jack%swlabs.uucp at uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)