Reasons for restricting su privilege?

Bob Deroy rwd at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Sat Dec 3 17:26:33 AEST 1988

In article <1371 at mcgill-vision.UUCP> mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:
>In article <479 at Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk>, linda at cc.brunel.ac.uk (Linda Birmingham) writes:
>> In article <3948 at encore.UUCP> bzs at xenna (Barry Shein) writes:
>>> (an attribution line seems to be missing here)
>
>Why not grant it?  Are you that certain this person is not competent to
>handle the privilege?

I have to agree with Barry. I don't think it is so much a matter of
competence but of keeping track who's doing what. I have seen my share
of "who changed $@$^% without telling anyone". Then there always "how
come he has su but I can't". Just think it is easier and creates less
problems with as few super users as you can get away with.

UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!rwd  INTERNET: rwd at bu-it.bu.edu
CSNET: rwd%bu-it at bu-cs  	       BITNET: engbd3c at buacca

UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!rwd  INTERNET: rwd at bu-it.bu.edu
CSNET: rwd%bu-it at bu-cs  	       BITNET: engbd3c at buacca