anonymous ftp, and chroot

Louis A. Mamakos louie at trantor.umd.edu
Wed Dec 14 23:47:05 AEST 1988

In article <6827 at xanth.cs.odu.edu> tadguy at cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:

>What I did was to connect() the datagram socket to "/dev/log" at the
>time of openlog() if LOG_NDELAY was specified, then just use send().
>Don't forget to add LOG_NDELAY to the openlog() call in ftpd.c.

I made a change like this in our syslog(); consider what happens to
long-lived daemons when /etc/syslogd is restarted for some reason.  The
socket is no longer connected, and logging ceases.

I'd like to see an option to syslog via UDP/SOCK_DGRAM internet sockets,
just like 4.2 did.  In fact, the code in syslogd is already there for
for forwarding log messages to other hosts.  All you need is something in
the library routine syslog().

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie at TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming