anonymous ftp, and chroot

Tad Guy tadguy at cs.odu.edu
Thu Dec 15 00:39:58 AEST 1988

In article <3042 at haven.umd.edu>, louie at trantor (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>In article <6827 at xanth.cs.odu.edu> tadguy at cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>>What I did was to connect() the datagram socket to "/dev/log" at the...
>
>I made a change like this in our syslog(); consider what happens to
>long-lived daemons when /etc/syslogd is restarted for some reason.  The
>socket is no longer connected, and logging ceases.

Sigh, I didn't supersede fast enough...

This is correct.  What I forgot to mention in that earlier version of
my posting was that I gave ftpd its own copy of syslog.c.

The moral of the story is not to post either late at night (when the
first article went out) or early in the morning (when the superseded
artcles went out).  Perhaps in midday...

	...tad

PS: Just for the record I corrected that error the article before I
had read Louis' article. :-)

--
Tad Guy         <tadguy at cs.odu.edu>     Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA