how do I tell the size of a pseudoterm window?

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Tue Dec 6 14:58:53 AEST 1988

In article <9042 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>It is true that a layer is rather different from other systems' notions
>of what a window is, but UNIX System V does have window size information
>set/get ioctls.  See <sys/jioctl.h>.

You seem to be implying that the layers/xt system is an integral part
of System V or the SysV tty interface.  I don't think this is the case.

Do you think that a windowing system running on SysVr3 should support
the layers/xt ioctl for window size?  (I don't mean whether it should
allow such a function, just whether it should use the same ioctl
command code and return the same data structure.)

This question has come up with regard to Commodore's proprietary
windowing system for Amiga Unix (SysVr3); comments are welcome.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com