how do I tell the size of a pseudoterm window?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Dec 7 08:22:21 AEST 1988

In article <5444 at cbmvax.UUCP> ditto at cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) writes:
>Do you think that a windowing system running on SysVr3 should support
>the layers/xt ioctl for window size?  (I don't mean whether it should
>allow such a function, just whether it should use the same ioctl
>command code and return the same data structure.)

Sure.  I emulate the jioctl window size stuff for the System V environment
on 4.nBSD using the native TIOC[GS]WINSZ, for example.  The numeric
ioctl value is not important, but if other software on the system knows
about the xt ioctls then you'd need to handle the emulation in the
kernel instead of at the program/OS interface level.

The really interesting question is, what should sort-of-UNIX-portable
source code do to cope with the three major (and several minor) variations
on this theme?  It's made worse by the inability to test for the presence
of header files such as <sys/jioctl.h>.