rsh environment

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Sun Dec 25 05:19:17 AEST 1988

In article <14640 at cisunx.UUCP> jcbst3 at unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (James C. Benz) writes:
>In article <1276 at uwbull.uwbln.UUCP> ckl at uwbln.UUCP (Christoph Kuenkel) writes:
>>Is there any way to alter the default environment setting used when
>>rsh (the bsd remote shell) executes commands?
>>
>>our rsh (bull sps9 with spix os) sets up an default environment
>>
>HUH?  (cr,h,...)ackers anyone?  Isn't rsh RESTRICTED shell?  Anyway,
>why not just set these in .profile using standard UNIX syntax ala
>HOME=/usr/mydirectory;export HOME
>That is, if you have permissions on .profile.
>Or is YOUR UNIX *different* than mine (AT&T)?

Way back in the old days before networking /bin/rsh was a "restricted"
shell. Some more recent versions of Unix may still have the restricted
shell for historic reasons.

I don't know about System V, but BSD and 9Vr2 have abandoned the restricted
shell in favor of a "remote" shell, also called rsh. (But at least on 9Vr2
it is not /bin/rsh but /usr/bin/rsh.)

Paul.