rsh environment

Andrew Beattie andrew at riddle.UUCP
Wed Dec 28 20:15:48 AEST 1988

In article <1276 at uwbull.uwbln.UUCP> ckl at uwbln.UUCP (Christoph Kuenkel) writes:
>Is there any way to alter the default environment setting used when
>rsh (the bsd remote shell) executes commands?
>
>our rsh (bull sps9 with spix os) sets up an default environment
>
>	HOME=				<from passwd>
>	LOGNAME=			<from passwd>
>	PATH=.:/bin:/usr/bin		<hardwired>
>	SHELL=/bin/sh			<surprisingly not from passwd>
>	TERM=				<always empty>
>
>any hints?

DID YOU BSD PEOPLE HERE THAT ???

What Christoph is trying to say is that we want an /etc/rshrc and $HOME/.rshrc
which is run every time we grab a remote shell so that we can set up our
environment exactly as we want it.  On our Xenix boxes with Excelan the
remote shell has $SHELL set up from passwd so the fix is to use csh and
set up the environment in $HOME/.cshrc (I think that is the right file,
I would rather suffer the inconvenience of setting up my environment each
time than have to use csh)