Restricted shell (was Re: rsh environment)

Mark A. Heilpern heilpern at ibd.BRL.MIL
Wed Dec 28 02:06:17 AEST 1988

In article <901 at philmds.UUCP> leo at philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) writes:

>I'm interested both in what restriction means in System V, and whether
>there is any documentation about -r (set -r, sh -r) for the BSD /bin/sh.
>Furthermore I'm interested in hearing about its use (for what, and how).
>
>        Leo.

In general, you would want to set up a restricted user, perhaps using the
computer to operate automated equiptment. (Though I can't justify the
need for a shell rather than a well written control program.)
You would set up a sub-structure complete with a home directory and a
home/bin directory. The user would (obviously) be placed in the home
directory upon login, the PATH set to home/bin. (S)he could then use
the commands/programs inside the home/bin directory, yet would not be able
to change directory (to poke around the system, etc.) or use commands
not authorized.
--
These are my opinions and you can't have them.

--