how do I tell the size of a pseudoterm window?

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Tue Dec 6 15:11:57 AEST 1988

In article <577 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
>	   (I presume you can, under layers, somehow arrange
>	   to run a program on a machine other than the one to which
>	   your layers terminal is connected and have it interact
>	   with layers just as if it were running on that machine; if
>	   not, X11 does a *better* job than layers does in that
>	   instance.)

I disagree.  An X11 application can not do its display on a machine
to which it is not connected, either; I think your complaint about
layers is more about the fact that layers is usually run over a
direct serial link, and X is usually run over a (multiple-machine)
network.  Both systems require a virtual 8-bit flow-controlled data
path between the display server and the application, and I think
they are very similar in that respect.

I think the layers protocol is a bit intertwined with the underlying
"xt" protocol, so it may have a slight deficiency there (experts,
please correct as needed).
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com