how do I tell the size of a pseudoterm window?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Wed Dec 7 04:10:25 AEST 1988

>I disagree.  An X11 application can not do its display on a machine
>to which it is not connected, either; I think your complaint about
>layers is more about the fact that layers is usually run over a
>direct serial link, and X is usually run over a (multiple-machine)
>network.

Err, umm, layers can be run on a terminal attached to a machine that is,
in turn, attached to "a (multiple-machine) network", as well; the
question is whether programs on other machines on the network can use
that terminal in the same way that programs on that machine can, in the
same way programs using X can run either on the machine on which the
display server is running (assuming it's not just an "X terminal" not
set up to run applications) or on any machine that can be *logically*
connected, via some kind of network connection, to that machine.

If the answer is "no", then X11 *does* do a better job; however, Doug's
answer seems to be "yes, programs on other machines can do that".