rm etc. (was: Nasty Security Hole?)

Root Boy Jim rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov
Fri Dec 9 03:52:43 AEST 1988

JSDY: This is wrong, of course: the names go on the lines ...
                                        vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
RBJ:  Strictly speaking, yes. However, >IF YOU LIMIT THE DISCUSSION TO<
       vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
RBJ:  >DIRECTORYS ONLY<, and don't allow hard links to directorys (a practice
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
RBJ:  even I have resisted), then you can move the names into the (i)nodes.

? From: "Joseph S. D. Yao" <hadron!jsdy at uunet.uu.net>

?             [/]
? 	       |
? 	  ---------------
? 	 /(bin)		 \(etc)
?      [/]               [/]
? 	 \(telinit)	 /(init)
? 	  ---------------
? 		|
? 	    [ _____ ]

? Now, tell me, please, in this real-life situation (and I don't care
? whether you don't think System V is real life), which name should go
? in the little box in the bottom?  Is it "init"?  or "telinit"?
? (Sneaky me - neither fits, in this picture!)

? In the path names "/bin/telinit" and "/etc/init", the words "bin",
? "etc", "telinit", and "init" name path components.  The nodes them-
? selves are reached by these path components, and the components are
? separated by "/", designating a node gone through.

? Joe Yao (still @Hadron)

Hey Joe, READ what I WROTE. I have highlighted what you missed. I understand
your point, and agree with you in the general case. You have violated my
(artificially imposed) conditions by adding files into the picture.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	(301) 975-5688
	<rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov> or <rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	Crackers and Worms -- Breakfast of Champions!