rm etc. (was: Nasty Security Hole?)

Joseph S. D. Yao hadron!jsdy at uunet.uu.net
Mon Dec 19 18:28:07 AEST 1988

You're right, I did indeed miss that you were limiting the discussion
to directory-only file systems.  That is probably because I know that,
however you try to disguise it, you're pretty bright; and I couldn't
imagine that you'd be using a file system completely devoid of regular
or special files - which strikes me as pretty useless.

System administrators should be aware that you can make hard links to
directories, although in most Unix-ische implementations this is
considered "wrong" - except that all directories will have: one link
from the parent directory; one link that is "."; and one link from
each child directory that is "..".

Joe Yao
jsdy%hadron.UUCP at uunet.UU.NET

tm - Unix is a trademark of AT&T Bell Labs.