how do I tell the size of a pseudoterm window?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Dec 3 03:51:50 AEST 1988

In article <564 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
>S5 doesn't come standard with a window system (unless S5R3.2 comes
>standard with X11), ...

This isn't quite right.  UNIX System V release 3 includes a "basic
windowing utilities" floppy that the 3B2 user can install or not,
but it is at least a standard part of the distribution.  This supports
the "xt" layer protocols used by the Blit descendants.  I don't know
what AT&T's future windowing plans are; they've announced (with Sun)
a commitment to the "Open Look" but then everybody and his brother is
pushing some window interface right now.  Too bad if X11 pushes out
the in-many-ways-superior layers approach.

Layers aren't just pseudo-terminals, they're much more powerful.