indentation: enough already!

Gordon Cross crossgl at ingr.UUCP
Sun Dec 11 02:56:42 AEST 1988

Normally, much valuable information can be obtained from this newsgroup but
the recent bantering concerning identation??  Come on, enough already!  My
feeling on this matter is that ANY programmer will ALWAYS be most productive
without artificial restrictions on mundane things as indentation "standards".
Back in my school days, one professor tried to enforce his indentation style
on the class (you could lose up to 25 points for violations!!).  I in
addition to others found "his" style impossible to work with and quickly
reverted to our own.  When the grades came out, it was as expected:  DOCKED!
Then we took all this to the dean and got the grades reversed.  The dean's
reason was that he felt such requirements had no bearing on a student's
ability to learn how to write good programs.  We should all take heed and
learn a lesson from this!!  As for me, regardless of "standards" I will
continue to code using MY style throughout eternity...

Gordon Cross
Intergraph Corp.  Huntsville, AL
...uunet!ingr!crossgl