Wanted: Intelligent getty program for SYS V

Michael michael at stb.UUCP
Wed Dec 14 12:36:32 AEST 1988

In article <822 at kimbal.UUCP> rick at kimbal.UUCP (Rick Kimball) writes:
>I'm in search of the source code to an intelligent getty.
>Before I run off half-cocked and write my own, I thought
>I'd query the net to see if someone has already done it.
>
>Here is my wish list for the "perfect" getty. It should:
>
>    o   Work well with intelligent modems
>        o   Perform speed recognition & auto bauding -
>            caller connected with the modem by reading the
>            modem responses and then properly set the port
>            for that speed. (no breaks needed)

Please, make this overridable. I've seen modems get this wrong.
I've generally determined speed by writting "If you can read this, hit
enter" or something similar out, and then waiting for characters. Not
elegant, but it works. Another possibility is to say "Login:", and if
nothing is typed, switch speed and repeat.

		Michael
: ---
: Michael Gersten			 uunet.uu.net!stb!michael
:					crash!gryphon!denwa!stb!michael
: Coff Coff <=== Stop smoking.