Wanted: Intelligent getty program for SYS V

Dave Settle dave at poppyucms.uucp
Thu Dec 15 22:29:05 AEST 1988

In article <822 at kimbal.UUCP> rick at kimbal.UUCP (Rick Kimball) writes:
>I'm in search of the source code to an intelligent getty.
>Before I run off half-cocked and write my own, I thought
>I'd query the net to see if someone has already done it.
>
>Here is my wish list for the "perfect" getty. It should:
[etc]

You could try the program I wrote & posted to comp.sources a couple of years
back ... I called it 'modem', but I'm not sure of the posting date.
I know that 'jack at swlabs.uucp' got a copy in the USA, so maybe you could
chat to him.

It does most of what you want, except that it doesn't handle the login
directly - it spawns 'getty' and lets it get on with things.

It does have support for intelligent modems, automatic speed detection,
bidirectional access, chat scripts to set your modem up, logging of call
attempts (with optional logging of processes running from the modem port),
and idle timeouts.

It works fine under System V, and I use it all the time. Xenix it has problems
with, apparently.

Let me know if you can't get hold of it.

Cheers,
	Dave
--

Dave Settle, Universal (CMS) Ltd, Thames Tower, Burleys Way, Leicester, UK.

dave at ucms.co.uk	 (someday)		...!mcvax!ukc!nott-cs!ucms!dave
dave at ucms.uucp 	  (today)

		<--- This way to point of view --->