password security

Kent Fuka fuka at concave.uucp
Fri Dec 30 02:54:05 AEST 1988

In article <410 at genghis.UUCP> sns at genghis.UUCP (Sam Southard) writes:
>Someone at your site probably modified /bin/passwd.  I know of a Convex C1 with
>the latest software releases from Convex (I think) and it does accept a
>completely alphabetic password.

Recent Convex OS releases support password aging, minimum password length
enforcement, and restriction against trivial passwords. These options
are enforcable on a per-user basis through a seperate password restriction
file (/etc/pwrestrict).  It sounds like your system administrator has
enabled the restriction against trivial passwords.